Previously, we provided an overview of the sick leave
portion of the FFCRA. Another part to the act deals with extended leave:
Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act. This is an overview to
provide basic information on who the act applies to and how it works. This is
not an exhaustive discussion on the extended leave portion of the FFCRA.
Who is eligible:
- Employees of companies with less than 500
- Employed at least thirty calendar days by the employer
prior to your leave.
- Take leave due to caring for a child home due to
school or childcare being closed due to COVID-19.
What is it:
- Leave available after the first two weeks of
- Available for up to ten weeks.
- Leave from April 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
Rate of Pay:
- No less than 2/3 of your regular rate of pay for
the hours you are normally scheduled with conditions.
Documents to provide your employer:
- Dates of leave request
- Reason for leave
- Statement that you are unable to work due to the
- Name of child
- Name of school or childcare that has closed or
- A statement that no other person is available to
care for your child.
Is my job protected:
- Generally, you are entitled to be restored to
the same or equal position upon return from expanded leave.
- You are not protected from layoffs.